Monday 22 April 2013

AFRICA MY AFRICA...

Africa my Africa...
My love for you runs so deep.
No matter how long I've been away,
How I can never ever forget you?
This land of my fathers and my mothers

Africa, oh my Africa...
Oh I love you so, despite it all...
I love the feel of the warm red sand beneath my bare feet.
And that unique smell of the earth which rises in the air,
When a little rain has just fallen on it after a long dry season.

Africa, my Africa,
Land of the Nile, Pyramids and the Masai Mara,
All of which I have been blessed to see.
Land of the Serengeti, Mt Kilimanjaro and Timbuktoo
All of which I am yet to see, but know I shall.

Africa, oh my Africa,
A land so rich in all it's ramifications,
From it's fertile soil, to it's living thriving rain forests.
From it's resilient, beautiful and diverse peoples,
To it's rich culture, numerous languages and melodious songs.
And the food, oh oh oh the delicious yummy food, hmmmm.

Africa, oh my Africa,
Land of noble Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses
Your artwork is beautiful beyond compare!!!
Your fauna and foliage draw folks from across the globe.
And the ever present sun warms our hearts and souls, our blood and bones...
Thus, despite all that besets us from within and without,
We still smile so brilliantly and have been deemed even,
The happiest of peoples by the rest of the world!!!

Africa, oh my Africa!
When will you finally arise my dear Africa?
And take your rightful place amongst the committee of nations??
When will you finally throw off all the mental, religious and economic shackles???
Those shackles that have held you bound,
Have held you bound for over 400 years in one form or another.
From the dreadful, evil human slave trade,
To your division and colonisation by outsiders,
To the current neo-colonialism that enslaves us till this very day.

Africa, oh my dearest Africa,
When will you unite and arise?
When will you assume the noble destiny??
The great destiny that has been ordained for you???
When will you recover the splendour and noble status you once had????
And which you so rightly deserve.

Africa, oh my dear Africa.
From the land of the Pyramids, to the land of the brave Zulu's.
From the caves of "no return" in Senegal, to the horn of Africa on the Indian Ocean.
Your time is NOW dear land of my fathers!!!
Your time is RIGHT NOW dear land of my heart...
Your time is nigh, because the beautiful ones have indeed been born.
And nobody can keep them prisoner any longer,
No one will keep "us" prisoner for much longer!!!

So Arise my dear Africa,
Arise Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritania and Eritrea,
Arise Sudan and South Sudan, The Congo's and Angola,
Arise Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Mali, Niger and Lesotho...
Arise and claim back all you've once lost, my dear Africa,
Claim back all that is rightfully yours, your sacred heritage.
Because the time is ripe, because the Lord says so...

By Christie Nonye Akumabor © 22/04/13


Going back to our natural and beautiful roots
The beautiful mask of Queen Idia of Benin
Africa's future belongs to these little ones

Delicious Achara soup from Southeast Nigeria
Soon, very soon we shall arise and claim our birth right...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Christie, as i read your beautiful poetry line by line, it took me on journey where i began to explore the length abd breadth of Africa and to see how truly blessed abd how beautuful we really are; It left me breathless! I also felt the genuine passion and love you have for our Africa! Great work!! The time is indeed NOW!! Beautiful!!You must publish!!