Sunday 18 April 2010

THE DARK DON'T SCARE ME ANYMORE....!

The dark don't scare me anymore....!

The night no longer holds any terrors.

I used to be scared of the dark, like all kids were,

But aged 8, I asked the Lord to help me,

And He sure did answer my plea.



I can now confidently go anywhere in the dark,

It has been so since I was 8.

I know there are some dangers out there,

Robbers, muggers, rapists and snakes.

But whilst I do not willingly court danger,

The dark sure don't scare me anymore....!



I asked God when I was 8,

To help me conquer my fear of the dark,

And like the loving generous Father He is,

He responded at once to my request.

I am now a child of the night,

When I often do my best work.

When I can work without growing weary,

When inspiration comes to me unbidden.



At night I would often complete tasks begun in the day,

Like tidying my room as a growing teenager,

Down to the last detail, down to the last shoe, in it's right place,

Despite my mums pleas of  "Christie please go to sleep."

As an adult my presentations got their finishing touches at night.

Even this poem, was started and finished this very night.



The dark don't scare me anymore....!

Because I asked God for help about it as a child,

At a time when I had complete faith and trust in Him.

How I wish I could have that child-like trust again,

How I pray for that unwavering belief in His Omnipotence.

I do occasionally happen upon glimpses of that trust,

Like when He helped me conquer my fear of pedestrian overhead bridges recently.



I believe, but I sometimes still waver, unfortunately...

I believe, but I sometimes think God is saying no and then I waver again.

I need to rediscover the child in me, who believed, hoha.

I hope to find her as I journey through life,

That child who once believed, that once trusted fully, will be found...

I REALLY DO NEED TO FIND HER!

Because if the dark don't scare her anymore, once I find her;

NOTHING WILL EVER SCARE ME, ANYMORE, EVER AGAIN!!!


So Lord, please help me seek and find her,

Cos, the dark really don't scare me anymore....!


By Christie Nonye Akumabor 18/04/10


No longer afraid, ha ha ha

My ten year old unafraid self



No comments: