Thursday 8 November 2012

WEEP NOT MY NAIJA CHILD, WEEP NOT...

Weep not my dear Naija child, weep not..
Wipe your tears dear for I weep on your behalf too,
I weep tears of blood when I think of your plight.
I weep when I look into your eyes hawking on our streets,
I weep when I see the total desperation and hopelessness there.

Weep not my Nigerian child, weep not..
For we have done this to you, this dreadful wrong,
We who should have cared and protected you.
We who should have stopped the abuse,
Stopped the careless degradation of your innocent souls.

Weep not beautiful soul, my lovely Naija child.
Weep not because Yemisi Suswan, first lady of Benue state,
One of the poorest in the land, commissioned a designer perfume,
To be distributed to guests on her 45th birthday!!!
What will she do for her fiftieth? I shudder to think...

Weep not my uneducated Nigerian child, weep not.
Because I weep on your behalf when the "first" lady of Ekiti state,
Tells us her child's been in boarding school in the UK since age 9!!!
Weep not as she tells us she visits her every 3 weeks (at whose expense?)
Weep not as we ponder and try and compute how much this all costs.
And compare it to how much is spent on the education of the average Ekiti child.

Weep not my motherless Nigerian child, weep not.
For we weep tears of blood as your mother lies dying of invasive breast cancer,
Dying through lack of funds for treatment because she is so poor.
Whilst her governor takes delivery of a $45,000,000 private jet in Akwa Ibom

Weep not that we wasted BILLIONS on an extravagant golden jubilee,
When we don't immunise Nigerian children anymore,
So polio and other killer diseases have been left to reign unchecked.
When we now have the highest Maternal Mortality Rate in the world...

Weep not my innocent Nigerian child, weep not,
Cos I weep as you're disposed of your late father's property.
Leaving you as a servant where your fortunes may be as varied as the wind.

Weep not child because soon there will be reason to weep no longer.
Weep not because your salvation is coming soon I pray,
Sooner than we think, though I know not from where.
Wipe your tears my child, soon ALL your oppressors will be done and gone.

We will wipe each others tears, because this insanity can't continue much longer.
We will weep no more when the winds of change blow through our nation,
And sweep clean ALL the ills in our society especially those affecting the defenceless and poor.

Weep not my dear Nigerian child, as your older siblings languish and die in the sands of the Sahara and the deep blue seas of the Mediterranean.
They die as they brave deserts and seas to seek the elusive golden fleece, a better future in foreign lands.
Because those we call our leaders are actually callous beastly beings masquerading in human flesh.

Weep not my dear child as we prepare to take back your destiny from those who have sold it for pennies.
Wipe your tears dear as we prepare to celebrate a new dawn, a renewed land of hope.
When your tears will become a distant memory in the annals of time and we'll all weep no more.

By Christie Nonyelum Akumabor © 08/11/12 Reworked today 06/12/17

She is the future of Naija, we have NOT served her well...




 Poor children being fed by a charity scheme run by one of the Pentecostal churches in Lagos

The environment which we expect to produce the leaders of tomorrow. No wonder we have sit-tight rulers.


No comments: