Monday 4 December 2017

FOOD GLORIOUS NAIJA FOOD!!!


Food, glorious food,
Food, glorious Naija food.
No food as sweet as my Mama's own.
No food can ever try take it's place.

No matter how long in England I live,
No matter how much steak and chips I eat,
The taste of Nsala will always bring,
A smile to my lips and my soul will sing.

The thought of Ogbono will warm my heart,
Nothing can compare to Banga and starch.
While Jollof rice and dodo are number one,
With stewed beef, fried fish, goat meat we're undone.

Though an English breakfast is quite a treat,
Akara and akamu can well compete.
Soft sweet boiled yam and egg sauce are really great,
Roast plantain with palm oil will also sate.

Though my taste buds are eclectic l still prefer,
The sight, smell and taste of my own home fare.
I know l love chocolate cake and ice cream,
But I love my mum's food more than anything.

Only we know the truth about pepper soup,
Suya, Edikaikong and yam fufu.
Ukodo, Ewa-agoyin and Ewedu,
Kilishi, Egusi, Fura de nunu.
Afang and Abacha belong there too,
With Ukpoka, stewed snails and Isi-ewu.

We've made puff-puff and chin- chin our own sweet treats,
So I think we Nigerians are quite replete.
We have so much food from our different tribes,
We're blessed with a diet that's quite untried.

Outsiders do not know what they're missing,
But we Naija's sure know what we're eating.
So my dear friends I ask now have you eaten?
If not, bia lier nni, come and join in 😀

By Christie Nonyelum Akumabor© 10/11/17

Jollof rice, stewed meat and dodo

Pounded yam and egusi soup a national dish

Fresh fish pepper soup
My delicious chocolate cake and ice cream

Achara soup from Southeastern Nigeria


Ankara and Akamu for breakfast

Delicious Okro soup

White and yellow yam with Owo and snails

Pounded yam and Ofe Nsala, my favourite


No comments: